Thursday, November 10, 2011

Matt Eder Power Trio - Black Magic Woman

This is one of my rare "band videos".  The guitar player is Bobby Williams, who I've played with on-and-off now for the last 20 years or so (my how time flies).  He's the one who taught me most how to use my ears on a gig.  We never rehearse anything - he just calls tunes and goes, and we just make music.  When I met Bobby we initially played with a keyboard player by the name of John Baer who had the wickedest left-hand I've ever heard and, like Bobby, can improvise anything on the spot.  Those two guys spoiled me because nowadays I don't have the patience to rehearse a band.  I'd rather hire these guys for a party and just show up.  The bass player in the video is named Eric.  I didn't get his last name and this was the first day I met him.  Awesome bottom end with a great singing voice too.  A conga player named George showed up at this party and also sat in with the band on this tune - you can't play "Black Magic Woman" without conga ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment